Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Restaurant That Keeps Me Coming Back By: Fern



Fern is a lawyer and CPA turned writer/reporter/blogger. A Manhattanite, originally from the great state of New Jersey, now living in beautiful Chicago with her husband, Fern believes Chicago has the best restaurants. Her hobbies include reading, eating and running.


The restaurant that keeps me coming back is... BadHappy

Three words: Gourmet Disco Fries. Three more words: I’ve been converted.

Once upon a time, at a diner in northern New Jersey, at 2AM, after a night of drinking, my friends ordered disco fries. (Note: “Disco fries” are defined on Urban Dictionary, the authority on these types of things, as “Cheese fries with gravy, generally served at diners in Northeast New Jersey.”) Anyway, I turned down the disco fries.  I said “I don’t like gravy.” That’s when the place fell silent.  The lights flickered.  And, everyone turned to stare at me.
Ok, not really.  But, I did say “I don’t like gravy.” That was back then, during my foolish youth.

Now, fast forward a few years (okay, a decade) and I’m a married lady living in Chicago.  My husband and I are invited to a new restaurant.  It’s called BadHappy. We like the name.  We like the logo.  We go.  Not usually how we pick restaurants but, of course, we also heard good things.

BadHappy, located at 939 N. Orleans St., is Chicago’s first and only poutine shop. Poutine?  That sounds like a dirty word. Well, according to Urban Dictionary, “poutine” is defined as “A Quebec (or French-Canadian) staple, a dish of homemade french fries topped with white cheddar cheese curds and beef gravy.”

Not only did I try it, as I’m a little more open-minded in my old age, and not only did I like it – Ferny likes it? – I loved it. 

BadHappy is run by chef Tom Kern, whose impressive culinary pedigree makes it no wonder all of the ingredients are fresh and fine.  The freshest.  The finest. These, my friends, are not your father’s Jersey diner’s disco fries.

Yes, these are gourmet disco fries.

Yes, I’ve been converted.  I like gravy.  And, I love poutine!


939 N Orleans St.
Chicago, IL 60610
(312) 890-2165

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and be a part of the "Check, Please! Effect"

Search This Blog